SWJ x Happy Bottoms: Virtual Diaper Drive
Happy Bottoms, Kansas City's Diaper Bank, is an amazing organization that helps families in need have vital access to diapers. We planned to do another diaper drive with them this spring, but have had to adjust and move to a virtual diaper drive. Through Mother's Day, 10% of sales from each piece from the Mama Collection will be donated to Happy Bottoms to aide them as the demand for diapers and financial need among families is higher than ever.
Learn more about Happy Bottoms below and, if you are able, we encourage you to support them during this time.
Did You Know?
- With schools closing and families bracing for the impact of a slowed economy, HappyBottoms is receiving hundreds of new calls a day from families needing diapers. Everyone knows how important food is, and that cannot be discounted. We must also pay attention to other basic needs that have a drastic impact on families. HB clients report that diaper need is more stressful than food insecurity.
- Mothers without access to an adequate supply of diapers for their children are twice as likely to suffer from depression. 30% of low-income mothers feel diaper need is even more stressful than food insecurity. Maternal stress and depression negatively impact a child's health and development and increase the risk of physical and mental abuse and neglect. HappyBottoms addresses this need and in these uncertain times, help is needed more than ever. You can be the difference they need.
- Last year, 20% of Kansas City families HappyBottoms surveyed took out a payday loan in order to purchase diapers. Unemployment rates are expected to grow in the weeks to come.
- Infrequent diaper changing can cause urinary tract infections and secondary skin infections resulting in 1,000,000 pediatric visits per year. The extra stressors placed on families right now will only amplify these issues and no family wants to make extra visits to the doctor.
- A 2019 HappyBottoms survey told us that 27% of families could not pay their bills when they didn’t have HappyBottoms to rely on for their diaper needs. HappyBottoms is receiving hundreds of new calls daily with families requesting diapers. Your support means more than ever.
Being a mom is the toughest job out there. Give a gift that honors motherhood and gives back to an organization that is working so hard for mothers in the community.